Home > China > Article

Police say east China shuttle bus fire: arson, suspect dead

By : Xinhua|Updated: 2010-07-15

NANJING, July 15 (Xinhua) -- The shuttle bus fire, which killed 24 people and injured 19 others on July 4 in east China's Jiangsu Province, was arson and the suspect was killed in the fire, the local police spokesperson told Xinhua Thursday.

According to the municipal public security bureau of Wuxi, the 57-year-old male suspect, named Dong Chuansheng, was an employee with No. 630 factory of Xuefeng Steel Company run by Jiangsu Shagang Group, China's largest private steel plant.

The spokesperson said Dong was paranoid and committed the crime out of grudge.

The shuttle bus fire occurred at 11:16 p.m. July 4 inside a flyover tunnel in Wuxi City, killing 24 out of the 45 workers on the bus at the scene. The workers were from Xuefeng Steel Company.

The police spokesperson said that six out of the 19 injured had been discharged from hospital, and the remaining 13 were in stable condition.